Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING A BATTLE!!

A flea battle that is.... Sorry I have not been posting. I have been flicking fleas and vacuuming twice a day for about a week. They are not just inside. They are all over the yard outside. They love me! 
My crazy lovable friend Debra said, I know how to get rid of them!, Me:  How?  Debra: Go buy 2 of those glow in the dark flea collars and put them around your ankles.. Don't forget to snap them to get them to start working!!   She thinks she is cute!!  lol.. I can just see Hubby when he comes home and I have two glow in the dark anklets on!!!  I wonder if they would even have a big enough collar for my swollen from the heat and flea bite ankles... hmmmm  I may have to buy the size for a Saint Bernard Dog!!!!   lol   But today, I waged a battle on them. I got these:
They didn't know what hit them!! Remember the old Raid commericals ?  RAIDDDDD! I popped these two cans and left for the day.. Hubby finished doing the outside tonight with spray.  All around the trailer and under it and all over the yard.. 
I will still continue to vacuum everyday.  Fleas must be bad in our area.. I bought the foggers at The Tractor Supply, got the last package. The guy at the check out said they have about sold out.  I can believe it!! He said everyone is having problems.. We've had a good bit of rain that makes it great for fleas and mosquitoes.
So this summer I can so me becoming the insects main course!  I don't dare use the environmentally safe repellent for these insects.. Oh No!!!  I tried buying the deet free and safe for children kind.  Homemade right here in Alabama.. No it didn't work!!!  I have to use Deep Woods Off!  That is the only kind that works for me.. I still put the other on the grand kids. This is another reason I don't like summer. BUGS!!!
Till Later... I am back to stitching instead of flicking fleas....

11 comments:

Parsley said...

Sometimes, chemicals are our friends! I tried many natural ways to rid the dogs of fleas but resorted to chemicals and wha lah...gone!

Anonymous said...

Hi April

Sorry to hear about the fleas and I hope you get rid of them soon.

Enjoy your stitching.

Musings from Kim K. said...

You poor thing. I'm worried about mosquitoes this season. Our Josie is extremely allergic to them. It's not fun coating her with all sorts of spray and then watching her swell up like a big balloon when she still gets bitten. Good luck.

New York Dreamer Cross Stitch said...

i have i fleas problem i don't know where they come from! they hang out in my laundry room by the window and nothing works!!! i'll keep trying!!!
Ezia.

Stitchinowl said...

Go get 2 boxes of Twenty Mule Team Borax powder at Walmart. It's in the laundry detergent area. Sprinkle it all over your carpet and stomp it into the carpet with either your feet or a broom. Let it lay there for about 2 hours and then vacuum it up. It will kill the fleas in the carpet and also make your carpet smell and look cleaner.
Carolyn

Cross Stitch Crazy Mum said...

We've had that problem too and used the same sort of thing for indoors. Outdoors we simply smothered the lawn and under the house in ordinary old garden lime and watered in. They dont like it 1 bit!

mary i said...

They are bad here in T-town also.Gotta love the south. At Least no bad storms.(oops yet) Yes use the real stuff it is all that works for me too and my dog.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Ah - and the fire ants! They even got under the house - I thought they liked the sunshine?? I finally called in the Pro's. Better so far...

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oh how I hate those buggers!
We use to use the lime in our yard too. It worked great. Never had a problem again.

Lynn said...

Hope this does the trick! I had an infestation in the house once from a stray cat I brought in. They were everywhere and the only one they seemed to bite was me!!

TinaTx said...

Hope that solved your problem. Fleas like me better than they do animals so I have to make sure we don't get them! Funny thing is, the worst problem we ever had was before we had indoor pets - they came from the neighbors acrosss the street! Had to call in an exterminator twice to get rid of them. When we got indoor pets (years and another house later) we had the house and yard treated by a pro and we have them come twice a year, without fail, whether we have a problem or not. This, along with making sure the dogs get treated monthly, seems to do the trick.
Skeeters are a whole different story - and they just might like me more than fleas. :(